My spouse began her career in real estate 1 year ago. Since then, I have come to appreciate the work that realtors do for their clients. In other words, there is a lot of work that goes into it that the client hardly ever sees. I have to admit, before my experience of observing my wife in her new career, I thought that realtors were just overpaid house showing agents. I have a feeling that many others may have thought the same.
So, is it worth it to use a Real Estate Agent?
For those of us who are not real estate agents, we do not completely realize what all goes into real estate transactions, at least when it is done the correct way.
My goal for this blog is to bring a little appreciation to the realtors in the world and hopefully shine a light on their hard work. Maybe the next time that you are in the market to buy or sell a home or some property, you will have more trust in your real estate agent, knowing that they are working on your behalf.
Here are 5 things that Real estate agents do on the client’s behalf that you may not realize.
- Lots of Homework – They spend a lot of time looking, comparing, and eliminating houses that fit within the possibilities of each client’s specific needs and wants. In other words, they have a lot of homework. Before you meet with your real estate agent, more than likely they have already spent countless hours learning what is currently on the market; sounds pretty simple right? Not really. Since everyone has completely different wants and needs, real estate agents have to keep up with the many things that change daily. Here are just a handful; zip codes and school districts, what’s new, what is old, what size yards do properties have, do they have a swimming pool, how many beds and baths, carpet or hardwoods, brick, stone or siding, neighborhoods, sewer or septic, what is sold, what is pending, what size kitchens do they have, is there a fenced in yard, etc, etc. Not to mention keeping it within your price point. As you can see already, the knowledge and work that has been put into it more than enough pays for them.
- Maintain Ethical- Realtors are required to deal with each client with integrity and honesty in all transactions. I know not all probably do, but there is a great chance that most realtors will represent their clients in an honest and trustworthy manner. Real estate agents are required to put the client’s interest ahead of their own. They are also required to make full disclosure about any problems about the properties. Failure to do so can cause them to have to pay heavy fines. It is in their own best interest to serve their clients in an ethical manner.
- Master Negotiators– Most real estate agents are master negotiators. This is extremely important for both the seller and the buyer. Most transactions will have some negotiation. The real estate agent has experience negotiating home and property sales so they are familiar with how this process works. A real estate agent can hold the key to you buying the house of your dreams at a fair price or not simply because they know how to negotiate. Over time real estate agents have seen about everything, so they know how to get creative to negotiate a deal for you.
- Paperwork, Paperwork- Anyone that has ever bought a house or sold a house knows that the paperwork in crazy! That’s just what you see. For them, it is even crazier because we can’t make up our minds and things change many times when we are making a decision like buying a home, and it should.So a real estate agent can happily draw up paperwork for one client multiple times because of minor details, counters, misprints, expired dates, missed initials, boxes not checked, etc. They have to know the paperwork inside and out so this doesn’t eat up all of their time. Not to mention they also have to be able to explain in detail everything in a way we all can understand. This grueling, repetitive task is usually done during the times that they are not showing houses to us or their other list of clients.
- Finance deals- For me, this is the biggest pro to using a real estate agent. A real estate agent can save you a lot of money with your financing, simply because they are familiar with the loan deals that are currently going on.They can point you in the right direction to a finance deal that could save you a bunch of money or help you afford your dream home, otherwise you would not have known about. There are usually a few specialty loans out there that most of us do not know about and will not be told unless we ask. A real estate agent is your friend, they will tell you what is currently out there. They want to see you save money and most of all happy with all your real estate dealings.
I know that there is much more to say on this topic, that I will possibly continue to discuss in a future blog. But I hope that you can begin to get the idea of a real estate agents worth.
I would love to hear others comments on this topic. Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Thanks and have a blessed day!